Monday, January 30, 2012

What is a 5 month old rat capable of?

I just recently got a rat from a local pet store and she is about 5 months old I believe. I have been doing research on trust training them, and since she is a bit nippy I have been pretty hesitant in my contact with her. I read things about baby and young rats, and then adult rats, but I don't know where my baby fits in. I would like to know what kind of method I should go about training her, and what she is capable of (biting and otherwise) at this stage of her life.|||At five months she is an adult, but it's ok to think of her as your baby:). She is capable of much. Rats are extremely clever animals and recognize patterns quickly i.e. if I do this, I will get that. But I wouldn't worry too much about training before she gets used to you. The first thing is to just accept that she is going to bite you for now. Don't be afraid of her bite. If biting you keeps you away from her then she will just keep doing it. Try sitting in a chair and letting her run around on you. They don't usually jump off or anything. They will spend a lot of time exploring you and the chair, but won't jump off. Don't man handle her too much while she's doing that. Also make your presence known when you're feeding her with soft words. It won't take too long. Just remember that you are big and she is little so give her plenty of time to lose her fear. And don't be afraid of her biting! I know it can hurt, but if you're too afraid then it's really her that's training you and not the other way around. Be patient. It will happen. And when it does you will be able to play around with teaching her new tricks and all sorts of stuff. They can even be litter trained! So as final note, rats are awesome!!! Have fun with your new friend! |||She does need a friend probably younger as they will both get to know you and will have each other when you are not around. Females can be a bit nippy. I think it comes with the sex as I have never been nipped by the boys even with food on my fingers they will be ever so gentle. Persevere perhaps band aids that they can pull off but do get a friend of the same sex as everyone will be so much happier.|||I got my four rats when they were around two months old. I would put them in a glass aquarium and sit it down next to me with my hand in the cage with some food. I would start by making them come to me and just dropping it by them. After they starting to trust me a little more, I would make them take it from. I got this information off of a website. I think it may have been dapper.com.au, but anyway that is a great website to use for anything you need to know about rats.

No comments:

Post a Comment