Monday, January 23, 2012

What is the most weird stage you have ever seen built?

I gotta say I invested in to this club near my house in hopes to play a few shows to get the club known and I am good friends with the owner and his children.



I told him a simple stage will be the best thing for the club. Nothing to big. Just high enough to trip over. Well, I stopped over to check out the progress and help out some with the stage and it is made of Pallets you know the wooden things stores get their shipped goods on. He took a bunch of them and attached them to the floor and put 2 layers of ply wood on it to make it stronger.



What is your weirdest stage you played or built. That ones is not my weirdest. My weirdest was this place when I was younger and gigging around called the Garage and they used a bunch of car tire rims and put boards of ply wood over it. Scared the crap out of me so much my amp sat on the stage and I played guitar in the crowd.What is the most weird stage you have ever seen built?
I once played at an outdoor venue that parked two flatbed transport trailers beside each other making a stage 53' X 17'. At first it would seem like a good stage but the trailers were not quite matched in height causing everybody but the drummer to trip numerous times. A couple times my guitar cord fell between the trailers where it became caught, unplugged my guitar and made us stop until a techie retrieved it for me. The approximately four foot drop to the ground was intimidating causing us to avoid the edges and after my cord got caught twice I was afraid to walk around at all. During a break some people tried to tape strips of cardboard over the gap between the trailers but that did very little to improve the situation.



It was by far the worst stage I every played on but the weirdest was when we played on a floating stage that wobbled so badly it felt like I was standing up in a canoe. When I finally got off the stage it took me a few minutes before I could even walk straight.



In almost forty years of playing I figured I had seen everything but can't say I've ever seen a stage built on top of car tire rims or pallets. How on earth do people come up with these ideas. :)What is the most weird stage you have ever seen built?
Either that Rolling Stones kiss they had at that super bowl, or Linkin Park's stage in "Live in Texas." That was the weirdest stage I've ever seen. Look on that comedy central show where they take comedians that not many people have ever heard of. They have some weird stages, too.



One time at my school, the flag corp had a show in the auditorium. Being in the south, it was a country show. They ended up putting some hay bails on the stage to raise the floor level. I would have loved to played on that. It would be hard to get drums on it, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment