Saturday, February 18, 2012

At home care for ingrown toenails?

I have an ingrown toenail (left big toe) and it's in its first stages. I have had these before, and usually wait until they get infected and then drain them and they are good to go, but this one really hurts and I have never had one in this particular spot. I refuse to go get it removed by a doctor. What can I do at home to either get rid of it, or help it along to the infection stage? I have heard warm soaks with Epsom salt, but I ran out of the salt and can't get to the store for a few days (we live in a rural area).





What has worked for you or someone you know?|||Oh girl, I have both big toenails PERMANENTLY removed because of those darn ingrown toenails coming back over and over. I would suggest in the meantime to soak your feet in very warm salt water. Also, cut a triangle shape in the middle of your toenail. This will help you toenail to grow towards the middle not the outside- deeper into your skin. Lastly, DO NOT pick at them from after that. Mine used to be mild enough to take care of at home as well, but don't be afraid to call the Dr and get them fixed. Getting mine permanently removed was the best thing! Now I never have to worry about one again and it still looks like I have toenails there unless you really get in close.


Best of luck- those are a *itch|||Try regular salt water, maybe a tsp per quart of water.|||My dad cuts a notch in this toenail near the ingrown area. As the nail grows out the ingrown spot comes out. It seems to work. I've tried it. As for the pain, pain relievers and hot compresses may help. I'd have it tended to before it get infected. That could be more costly in the long run.|||My sister used to get them all the time. She used to cut the nail along the edge and pull the part of the nail that is growing into the toe out (because that is what's going on there). This ususally worked for her, but sometimes they'd come back. Anyway, she doesn't get them as often anymore though. And you have to make sure everything is super clean before you go digging around.





As far as I know, you'll actually have to get the part of the nail that's growing into the toe out for it to heal up and go away. So, if you don't want to go to the doc's then you'll have to pull it out yourself.





By the way, my sis went to the doc for hers and she said they gave her stuff to numb her toes and she didn't feel anything. (She had two on one toe and one on the other toe done at the same time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment