Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Expressing breast milk now while in the newborn stage to prepare for back to work months in advance?

my baby is 2 weeks old. I'll have to go back to work when he's 8-9 months old. I breastfeed. I'd like to have a supply of pumped breastmilk for when I go back. when I went back to work after my first, i just assumed i could pump as needed and at work. I couldn't manage it and she ended up getting formula during the day and I nursed her when I was with her at night...which didn't last long, because she began sleeping through the night and my supply completely dropped off.



So my question is can I start expressing milk now to build up a store for when I go back to work? The reason I feel this might not work is that it may interfere with the amount my son currently gets...if I'm making exactly the amount he needs for this age and not a bit more, will pumping at the end of each feed take away from what he gets at the next feed? right now he eats very frequently, probably about every hour or so.|||Breastfeeding is supply and demand. The more your nurse/pump the more milk you will produce. Pumping will not interfere with the amount that your son gets as long as you aren't pumping right before nursing him. I pump at night after my baby goes to bed mostly.



Even if he's feeding every hour you should still be able to pump. I doubt he is emptying both breasts at each feeding..|||Your milk is not even mature yet. Please wait at least a little while. When your supply meets the baby's demand (3-5 or 6 weeks), you can start pumping once a day after the first morning feeding and start storing milk. If you pump too often you can increase your milk supply to the point that you may suffer from plugged ducts and other breast problems. Remember, this is not your first baby, so it is likely that you are making more for this baby than you did for the first.



Also remember that it is not advised to save milk indefinitely in the freezer. Three to six months is the recommended time. All milk should be labeled with a date and used in the order it was stored. You can probably wait to start pumping for several months.



Breastfeeding is supply and demand. The more that your breasts are stimulated, the more you can make. So if you are pumping a bit, you are not taking away from the next feeding.
  • virtual earth
  • ski doo
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment