Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Best canned food for cat with late stage renal failure?

I know, this is not nearly ideal. I've posted on my Mom's cat previously, and since doing so, my intentions of bringing her back to New York City with me have been refused. I will be visiting my Mom in a couple days however, and I do not have many choices besides making as many changes to the cat's diet under the radar- while I am there- as I can. Basically, I will be going there for a week, with about six months of supplies for the kitty in tow. At least I have the comfort of knowing my Mom won't turn down free cat supplies.





But two weeks after I leave, my Mom will be leaving the country for two weeks, and leaving the cat at an okay boarding place associated with a pet hospital that doesn't store home-made food. Unfortunately, again, all I can do is provide supplies, not actually bring the cat home with me. So I need to find good canned food for her that people have found that their cat will actually eat. Any advice would be appreciated.|||- Purina's renal formula is usually well received and good quality.


- Hill's K/D is a good diet, but not as well liked in the standard flavour from what I've seen.





I'd recommend the purina one, but it's only available from veterinarians and they are both prescription diets. This means that the vet may not sell it without seeing the animal. You may have to get them to call the vet where your mom's cat was diagnosed.





Do not buy a renal food from a pet store.|||Something that is high in protien and fairly low in fibre.|||"Most veterinarians believe that cats with kidney disease should have low phosphorus diets, but they disagree about the amount of protein.


Your cat should be given canned foods due to the higher moisture content. Diets that require a prescription that are made for cats with kidney problems include Eukeanuba MultiStage Renal, Purina Veterinary NF, Hill's Science Diet k/d and Royal Canin Modified Formula or Renal LP 21."|||There are at least four very good CRF cat groups over on Yahoogroups, I highly suggest going over to the groups section and typing in CRF feline to find them. The owners there are very up on all the current info and can answer what you need.|||Wellness,Newmans Own,Sheba,Tiki,EVO,Merrick,Natural Balance, Meow mix Wholesome goodness(surprise surprise lol), are all good quality foods. High protein canned food is ushually the cure all for cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment