Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Did your 4 or 5 year old go through a "bossy" stage?

I have to ask if other parents are experiencing (or already have experienced) this. My son just turned 5 years old a for the last few months he -tries- to boss my husband and I and tell us what to do. He also does this with his little sister. For example, we will be in the store and my son will say "Mom, go to the toy isle right now!". Now, obviously, we have NEVER given in to him and we correct him right away. We tell him to ask us for what he wants and talk to us nicely and we also do time-outs etc. The problem is that he has been doing this (or trying to boss us) for months despite the fact we don't allow it and it's really discouraging! So, that had me thinking, is this pretty normal for the age group?


If it matters, my son seems to have a very strong "leader" type personality (like his dad). My son is the one who walks up to new kids and tells them his name and asks them to play etc. But, honestly,


besides, this issue, my son is a really sweet and friendly, social little kid and otherwise, very well-behaved so I guess that's why I'm so startled by his bossy demands.


Also, my son just started 4 year old kindergarten and we talked to the teacher and she said he is doing "Spectacular" and is a very good little boy and makes friends easily (he's not bossy with them).


So what the heck is going on?! Is this normal boundary testing for this age? Is it his personality? Am I handling it wrong (like should I be ignoring him completely and not even giving enough attention to the behavior to discipline it)???


Have you gone through this with your own kids? Any stories or advice would be great!|||Kids tend to try to out rule the parents. You have to remember they are testing you to see how far they can get with you. Believe me, you don't want a kid bossing you around forever. Tell him its not his way. Tell him "I'm the mommy and you're the baby, so It's not up to you." Don't let him have his way. I wouldn't even worry because he's doing great in school. He will eventually outgrow this. Good luck!|||when she turned 4, yes, it was instantly. i think they just become so literal and they start to understand the world more, and they want thier voice heard. you just have to remind them who is boss lol|||kids won't ever go through "bossy" stages if you hit them hard and often enough.|||Yes my 5 year old nephew also tries to be bossy with his friends,neighbours also.|||I went into a "bossy" stage when I was about 3, and never got out of it. Haha.


My cousin who is 3, she has gotten there. Everything is her way, when she wants it. I talk to her on the phone about once a week (we live 4 hours apart) and she will tell me "Abby, you are coming over right now to play with me." You just have to not let them get their way all the time and kind of "knock them off their thrown".

No comments:

Post a Comment