Wednesday, February 15, 2012

How to organize a stage makeup kit?

Our little theater group has a makeup "Crash Kit" that has grown exponentially, and doesn't fit in a large tackle-box any longer. Now we have a small table-top multi-drawer system (similar to what people use to store screws, nuts, bolts, etc) with labels on them.





Its incredibly annoying when you are running late for a scene, and all you need is some red lipstick or a safety pin. You have to read every label to find what you are looking for, and it ends up somewhere towards the bottom.





I really liked the tackle-box idea, because you could open it up and see everything. Easy to find what you needed. Our Director hated it because things weren't seperated as nicely as they are now, and you would end up with unidentified goo at the bottom of the box. Point taken.





My argument is that I cannot find what I need at-a-glance, and I have to waste precious milliseconds reading the labels to find what I am looking for. Its driving me crazy, and I am up for any suggestions anyone might have. We need it to be portable, lightweight, and organized. Space is limited backstage, so we cant use a rollaway drawer system...it has to sit on a small tabletop. Anyone...? Beuller...?|||I have my theatrical makeup broken up into five compartmentalized boxes:





FACE: bases, powder, blushes


EYES: shadows, liners, mascara, eyebrow pencils


MOUTH: Lip sticks and liners, glosses


SPONGES %26amp; APPLICATORS: extra sponges, powder puffs, Q-tips, etc.


SPECIALITY: Spirit gum, false eyelashes, clown white and other odd colored bases - in other words, things I wouldn't use on a regular basis





Whenever I'm starting into tech/dress for a show, I go through these boxes, pull out what I need for the run, put it in my dressing room kit and leave the rest at home.





I will never, under ANY circumstances, share makeup. It's just not sanitary. If I were you, I'd start investing in my own makeup kit - that way you can control what goes into it and the condition it's in. My main kit stays in my dressing room, but I have a few little boxes that I can put emergency stuff into (like safety pins and lipstick), and stow it backstage where I need it. If the box is small enough, you can always find a little cubbyhole for it (I've even gone so far as to gaff tape mine to the wall). Just make sure you label the box so it doesn't get thrown out by mistake. For shows where I have had multiple quick changes in the wings, I have separate boxes with the makeup, hair supplies, jewelry, etc. for each change. I let the stage manager and wardrobe people know I'm doing this and it's been a lifesaver.





You should go through all your stage makeup periodically and throw out stuff. I usually buy a mascara for the show and toss it when I'm finished; same with lipsticks and cream shadows. Any makeup that's got a cream or oil base is a breeding ground for bacteria.|||Sounds like two tackle boxes would be the answer. One for foundation, powder, things that take time to apply and don't really get use last-minute, and the other for the touchup items, like lipstick, eyeshadow, liners, mascara.

No comments:

Post a Comment